An estimated 1.2 million Hispanics of Colombian beginning lived in the us in 2017, relating to a Pew Research Center analysis regarding the U.S. Census BureauвЂ™s United states Community Survey. Colombians in this profile that is statistical individuals who self-identified as Hispanics of Colombian beginning; including immigrants from Colombia and people whom trace their loved ones ancestry to Colombia.
Colombians are the seventh-largest populace of Hispanic origin surviving in the usa, accounting for just two% regarding the U.S. Hispanic population in 2017. Since 2000, the Colombian-origin population has increased 148%, growing from 502,000 to 1.2 million on the duration. The colombian foreign-born population living in the U.S. grew by 99%, from 383,000 in 2000 to 763,000 in 2017 at the same time. In contrast, Mexicans, the nationвЂ™s largest Hispanic origin team, constituted 36.6 million, or 62%, of this Hispanic populace in 2017.
Colombian-origin population when you look at the U.S., 2000-2017
|Foreign born||U.S. born|
Pew Analysis Center
Listed here key facts compare demographic and financial faculties associated with the population that is colombian-origin the U.S. utilizing the faculties of U.S. Hispanics therefore the U.S. populace overall. It really is predicated on Pew analysis Center tabulations regarding the 2017 United states Community Survey. Key points consist of:
- Among Hispanics when you look at the U.S., about 33% are international created, weighed against 61% of U.S. Colombians.
- About 43% of foreign-born Colombians will be in the U.S. for more than twenty years, and 60% of foreign-born Colombians are U.S. residents.
- About 16% of U.S. Hispanics many years 25 and older have acquired at the least a degree that is bachelorвЂ™s in contrast to 33% of Colombians.
- Among Colombians many years 25 and older, the U.S. born tend to be more most most likely than the international born to have bachelorвЂ™s level or more (42% vs. 30%).
- Among U.S. Hispanics, the median yearly personal earnings for people ages 16 and older ended up being $25,000, in contrast to $28,600 for Colombians.
- Evaluating full-time, year-round employees, U.S. Hispanics obtained significantly less than Colombians ($34,000 vs. $40,000).
- The share of U.S. Hispanics whom are now living in poverty (19%) is more than among Colombians (11%).
- About 10% of U.S.-born Colombians are now living in poverty, because do 12% of foreign-born Colombians.
- The price of homeownership among U.S. Hispanics (47%) is comparable to the rate for Colombians (48%).
- Among Colombians into the U.S., prices of homeownership are reduced for the U.S. born than international created (48% vs. 49%).
Top states of residence
- The Colombian populace is focused in Florida (31%), ny (14%) and nj-new jersey (12%).
- The age that is median of Hispanics (29) is leaner than that of Colombians (37) in addition to U.S. populace (38).
- U.S. Hispanics many years 18 and older are less inclined to be hitched (46%) than Colombians (50%).
- Among Colombians many years 18 and older, those people who are international created are more inclined to be married compared to the U.S. born (56% vs. 36%).
- About 7% of U.S. women that are hispanic 15 to 44 gave delivery into the year ahead of the July 2017 United states Community Survey. The price for Colombian ladies had been 5%.
- About 70% of U.S. Hispanics many years 5 and older talk just English in the home or talk English at the least вЂњvery well,вЂќ contrasted with 62% of Colombians.
- Likewise, 64% of Hispanic grownups are English proficient, since are 57% of Colombian grownups.
Down load the info
Other U.S. Hispanic reality sheets
- Facts on U.S. Latinos
- Origin fact that is group-specific:
Pew Research CenterвЂ™s reality sheets on U.S. Latinos and the associated we blog post examine the Latino populace associated with the United States general and also by its 15 origin groups that are largest вЂ” Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Salvadorans, Cubans, Dominicans, Guatemalans, Colombians, Hondurans, Spaniards, Ecuadorians, Peruvians, Nicaraguans, Venezuelans, Argentines and Panamanians. These sheets offer detailed geographical, demographic and characteristics that are economic all Latinos as well as for each Latino origin team. They have been centered on Pew analysis Center tabulations for the U.S. Census BureauвЂ™s 2010, 2015 and 2017 United states Community Survey (ACS) as well as the 2000 U.S. decennial census.
The ACS may be the household survey that is largest in the usa, with an example of greater than 3 million details. It covers the subjects formerly covered into the long as a type of the decennial census. The ACS was designed to offer quotes regarding the size and characteristics of this resident population, which include individuals residing in households and team quarters. For lots more information regarding the ACS, like the sampling strategy and linked error, look at 2010, 2015 or 2017 United states Community SurveyвЂ™s Accuracy Statement given by the U.S. Census Bureau.
The precise information sources for those reality sheets will be the 1% types of the 2010, 2015 and 2017 United states Community Survey (ACS) Integrated Public utilize Microdata Series (IPUMS) supplied by the University of Minnesota in addition to 5% test associated with 2000 census that is decennial. IPUMS assigns uniform codes, to your degree feasible, to information gathered by the decennial census and the ACS from 1850 to 2017. To find out more about IPUMS, including definition that is variable sampling mistake, please look at the вЂњIPUMS Documentation and consumer Guide.вЂќ
Because of variations in the real manner in which IPUMS and Census Bureau adjust earnings data and designate poverty status, information supplied on these subjects might vary from information which are supplied by the Census Bureau.